Monday, June 6, 2011

Back into Perspective

Probably, if you follow my Twitter or have me on Facebook, you'll already know that yesterday morning was the worst morning I have ever had. 

It started out perfectly; warm, sunny, freshly showered, and excited about a hike to the Grotto in Tobermory with Josh, his brother (Tyler) and his wife (Danielle). Usually I go to church on Sunday mornings, but since it was the only day Danielle had off, we decided we would skip. 

I watched my mom and sisters pile into the van and get ready to go to church while I waited for Josh to pick me up. As mom was closing the car door, she yelled "Taylor, can you feed the goats? I ran out of time." So I quickly booked it up to the barn, grabbed the pitch fork, and began to stab the hay bale in an attempt to collect their food.

Then it happened. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the van bounce as if it had rolled over a log. All of a sudden, I heard the most awful, terrified animal screams coming from under the vehicle. Then I heard my sisters and my mom screaming, and the car door fly open, and my mom wailing and running around the car- the animal screams getting louder and more terrified by the second. I knew it was Hampton, our 110lb golden retriever, pinned. 

Taylor Rebecca | BlackBerry
I can't even describe how horrifc that feeling was. Hampton has been my best friend for the past nine years. We spend every day together, he climbs into bed with me every night because I have an irrational fear of ghosts/murderers and don't feel safe without him. He's like my security blanket. I know I sound weird, but I have this special bond with him. We understand each other. He sticks extra close to me with a concerned look on his face when I'm upset, hurt, or sick. I know exactly what he wants or needs just by his facial expression. He's more of a human than a dog. He's so smart. And funny. He loves my camera and knows to pose whenever I point it at him. When I lived in Hamilton this year, I missed him more than I missed my family (haha, sorry guys. I do love you). The thought of losing him to old age in a few years is devastating to me. No dog will ever replace him. No human will ever replace him. 

So you can imagine how I felt knowing that we had just crushed him with the van and he was lying on the gravel dying. I wanted to throw up. I couldn't bring myself to leave the barn so I sat there and sobbed with my fingers in my ears so I wouldn't hear the screaming. I've never felt so hopeless in my entire life. 

BUT. The story gets better. After seriously contemplating whether I should end my life with the pitch fork lying beside me, I heard my mom and sisters yelling that nothing was under the van. With wobbly legs I ran outside the barn to see Hampton jump into the open door of the van and collapse.  

The relief of knowing that he was alive and able to move was incredible. But confusing.  He lay there on the van floor panting and shaking, and looking at us expectantly, all of us still crying. We knew that something was still terribly wrong with him and I remember screaming that I was going to put all my life savings into doing whatever surgery was required to save him. Then I tried calling 911… apparently they don't do animal emergencies. So I called Josh and gasped in broken english to call Danielle (who is a vet tech) and ask her to get here RIGHT AWAY. (I'm an emotional wreck in stressful situations and my brain literally shuts down. When I had to call the ambulance for my mom last year, I couldn't remember her name OR where we lived.) 

All of a sudden, Hampton gets up from the van floor, jumps onto the drive way and starts running around happily. Sorry, come again? MIRACLE. We all started bawling with joy and hugging Hammy like mad and screaming HOW ARE YOU ALIVE?!?!?! over and over again. I have never been happier in my entire life.
We got him checked out, and he didn't even break a bone! He's just a little stiff and sore! I stayed up with him most of last night because he couldn't sleep, but by morning he was much better. He's eating and drinking properly, and today I even took him on a little walk through the forest and he did so well! 

We have no clue how he survived a 5000 pound van rolling slowly over his entire back end, but he did. And I can't tell you how thankful I am. I don't know what I'd do without the little rascal in my life. 

Yesterday was a huge reminder of how fortunate I am to have what I do. I've only been to one funeral in my lifetime. All of my family and friends are alive and well. Although I have had bad things happen to me in the past, I've been able to get through them and move on. I have so many things to be thankful for. 

When the little things in life go wrong, I need to remember this. I am so blessed.

The accident yesterday put everything back into perspective and gave me a huge wake up call. It's funny how things work out.

Taylor Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment